GRAYBOX is a digital consulting agency that helps clients solve technical challenges, reach their audience and optimize their operations with elegance, utility and expertise.
About the Position
Director of Technology
GRAYBOX is the premier digital technology consulting firm in Portland, Oregon. We pride ourselves on the consistent and reliable execution of complex digital projects. At our core, we are an experienced team of professional design, marketing, technical and business consultants that aim to serve our partners well and produce great results for their businesses.
As one of the fastest-growing companies in the region, we are seeking to expand the capabilities of our Executive/Management team. To that end, we are looking for a Director of Technology to improve and expand our consulting and execution practices in all our technical efforts. Practically, you will coach, mentor, and standardize our development team — they are the developers and architects that plan and executive on our partner’s vision. Currently, the team consists of 25 developers & architects — about half are in Portland, the other half in Mexico City. You will also help our internal teams, driving effective and efficient process improvements to help us optimize how we run and what we do. You will help shape what tech stacks we build on, advise our team on platform selections and technical architect, and collaborate on how we implement technical work.
You MUST have a positive attitude, a desire to improve everything you see, and a consistent ability to lead both processes and people to produce results. An entrepreneurial spirit is important as you’ll be very independent.
We have an exceptional benefits and compensation package and dare I say, we’re delightful to work for. We expect a lot, but for the right person, this will be your dream job.
Tangibly, we are currently organizing the company into multiple types of work:
- Marketing — Anything that uses a simple CMS (WordPress, Drupal, etc) + Marketing technology platforms (Pardot, Marketo, Mailchimp, etc)
- Applications — Custom web or mobile application (PHP, React, .Net, Python, iOS, Android, etc). Think of traditional agile software development.
- Enterprise Ecommerce — For the big ecommerce systems. Mostly Magento now, but we are interested in doing more Salesforce Commerce, IBM Commerce, etc + Newer ecommerce builds like headless systems.
- Ecommerce — More simple ecommerce storefronts, typically using BigCommerce or Shopify, how we are implementing them in the client’s ecommerce ecosystem, and a lot of custom front-end development.
- We also have in-house creative, QA, and Support Teams
You’ll be expected to:
- Help to recruit new developers and architects
- Onboard new hires in our technical processes
- Coach, mentor, and improve the capabilities of our developers in their teams (note you will NOT have HR responsibilities)
- Improve and drive technical processes & tools to deliver work better, such as testing practices, source control, reusable code libraries, etc
- Help cross-cultural communication between our Portland and Mexico City teams
- Maintain and improve the fantastic team culture we have now
- Drive best practices across the team in how to consult well in a professional services context
- Research, Introduce and Execute new technologies to the team
- Collaborate with the executive team, other leaders, and our consulting staff
- Be an indispensable leader and sounding board
We know we are expecting a lot, but it’s essential we find the perfect fit.
These should all describe you:
- You have run your own professional services business or department before
- You have a consistent track record of executing complex, multi-sided technical projects
- You love a good [virtual or in-person] whiteboard session and can explain technical concepts to non-technical people
- You improve everything you manage
- You love people and people love working for you
- You find it impossible to NOT care deeply about something or someone
- You work smart AND hard — you get twice the work done of other people
- You love to teach others and genuinely love to help
- You inspire people, yet keep them accountable to a high standard
8+ years of professional services experience
Experience in working with distributed and multi-locational teams
College-educated, Bachelor’s for sure — MBA or tech degree major plus
Experience managing designers, developers and technical project managers
Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
Robust interest in building a healthy company to a large scale
Compensation & Benefits:
Law Benefits Plus:
Grow your US Network
Work from home two days a week (Currently 100% Remote due to COVID-19)
Competitive comprehensive benefits package:
30 days Christmas Bonus pay
16 Days of Vacations
8 Paid Local Holidays
Premium Private Health Insurance
10,000 MXN Educational Benefit per year (can be used towards courses or conferences)
Do you consider yourself fit for this position?
There's only one way to find out.
GRAYBOX is a digital consulting agency that helps clients solve technical challenges, reach their audience and optimize their operations with elegance, utility and expertise. We’re partners for success in a digital-first world — helping captivate partners, both online and off, with measurable results.
We plan, design and build a variety of digital experiences including websites, web applications, mobile applications, ecommerce stores of all sizes, digital marketing campaigns, videos and virtual reality. If it touches the internet, we probably help with it. We have about 40 people on staff + an extensive network of freelancers. GRAYBOX’ World Headquarters are in Portland, Oregon, USA. Founded in early 2009, it is widely regarded as an awesome place to work.
Across all of our practice areas, our people approach problems and solutions by applying the following core values
Our team knows what they’re doing. We learn from our experiences and are curious about our respective fields. We bring our full-self, will all of our life experience, to bear each and every day. We celebrate our successes and we teach our mistakes.
Many hands make light work, and you’re always finding ways to unify others and work together. You are generous with ideas and know how to extract the best from others.
We do what we say and don’t rest until we fulfill what we said we would do. Our world is our bond.
We own our work, care about it and hold ourselves to a high standard. We’re accountable to ourselves, each other and our partners, caring deeply about the work we do and owning both our wins and our losses.
We leave it all on the stage. We dot our i’s and cross our t’s. We can recognize and fix potential risks before they become pressing problems. We know that changing one variable will impact the whole.
Our personality is…
We always look for the good and don’t waste time wallowing in the negatives. We work through challenges to get our partners the outcomes necessary for success. Then we celebrate it.
We truly, deeply, and demonstrably give a shit about our partners, our process and our people.
We blend experience with knowledge in a way that helps us think deeply, solve problems and innovate with new solutions to complex problems.
We take pride in being unconventional, brilliant and sometimes scrappy problem solvers digging up solutions to tough problems that might be overlooked by others.
We mean what we say, do our diligence, always show up, and never let our clients down.